Saturday, January 5, 2008

David"s Dec. 25-Jan.1/2008 letter

25 Dec. 2007
Dear Family,
Christmas Day! Happy Birthday Jesus! Yesterday, we did 4 prac. tests, did a lot of drill and played "games". Then, finally in the evening, we had a Christmas Eve service and sang Christmas Carols and had two messages in two hours. My favorite message was relating how our being in a tough place is a good place for Christmas. Christ was born in a tough place to save people in a tough world. It really hit home here how Christ came in a tough place. We had chow which was: 2 slices of wheat bread,1 bagel, cream cheese & jelly, peanut butter, eggs, bacon, scalloped potatoes, 2 waffles, oatmeal with syrup, an orange, raisin bread, cantaloupe, and yogurt. Then a glass of milk and a glass of juice. That is my normal breakfast. At least I am not starving! :) And I forgot coffee cake.
When we got back to the house, we cleaned for 1/2 hour. Then, I celebrated Christmas by opening presents--no it was 78 MREs.Meals Ready to Eat We took all the extra stuff out of the MREs so they could fit into our packs for field week. It took close to 1 1/2 hours to do that. Then we added two sheets and a blanket and piled all our stuff on the quarter deck. Then, we sorted it out and went to Church at 0930. It is amazing how much you can get done when you get up early. Now we are on free time till 1130 and Tony, his rack mate and I made a chess set--hope we don't get into trouble for it.
Yesterday I was on the quarter deck for eating a candy cane. We were given them in the chow hall and I was not told what to do with it, so I ate it.
Now for lunch, we had a special meal. Dinner rolls, bread, turkey, beef roast, baked potatoes, canned corn, chicken noodle soup, dressing, gravy, mixed nuts, shrimp, apple pie, deviled eggs, a big salad, oranges, 2 big slices of water melon, and a glass of chocolate milk and apple juice.
Dec. 30,2007
Field week is done. It was fun sleeping under the stars, but fire watch was very cold.
Jan. 1, 2008
I got to send this letter. I have been carrying it in my pocket for the last week.
(It looks like it too!) My addition.
Please pray for my rack mate Hill. He does not believe in absolutes and is a professing non-Christian.

Christ's soldier,
David Phil 4:13

No comments: