Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Our First Letter from David

Nov.15, 2007 Training day 3
Dear Family,
I finally found time to write. They keep us running around from morning (0500) till well after sundown (2200). it is great but some times a little brain racking due to all the yelling and time on the quarter deck (I.T.). I have had a little time to talk to recruits about God, but not much because we are not allowed to talk to each other. Basically we yell all the time and if you don't scream you get punished. Sadly the D.I. (Drill Instructors) have leanred my name but they do not use it too much. I have only been to the quarter deck 4X. You can pray I can find time to read the Bible as it is really hard to find time to do any thing but what the D.I.s say. I got to see recruits graduating today. That was cool. I also started.
Training on hand to hand combat. The first week all we did was walk around and wait in lines. We had to stand at attention for up to 8 hours at one time and some time all night and the DI would not let us sleep for the first 48 hours. Since then I have gotten plenty of sleep. Every other night I have five whach in which you have to be awake for 1 hour doing nothing but cleaning and marching here. The food is great with salad, apples, oranges, BBQ ribs and vegetables for supper today. You only get about 5 min. to eat it, but thankfully I am a fast eater. I finally got my ugly glasses, so that was nice as my other glasses just broke. Another thing that takes some getting used to is going to the bathroom only when told. One night the whole platoon was almost wetting themselves and then the DIs only let two go to the head at a time. Anyway you will have to let me know what you are all up to. Got to go.
Love, David Pillman
Rom. 5:3
Phil. 4:13

P.S. I am in MIKE company. Look it up. It is said to be one of the toughest companies.

No comments: